Turing Compliant?

Christian Tismer tismer at appliedbiometrics.com
Thu Sep 2 07:53:25 EDT 1999

Martijn Faassen wrote:

> William Tanksley <wtanksle at dolphin.openprojects.net> wrote:
> >>Even-MSDOS-batchfiles-are-turing-complete-ly yours,
>
> > You know, I'm not sure they are.
>
> I hate them too (saw too many really nasty ones), but they can probably
> be perverted enough (if they weren't perverted already). :)

Now here is one perversion:

Besides the finite disk space problem, batch files are in fact
turing complete. Given a batch file, it can run the debug command
which is still included with WinXX. Using this trick, it is
possible to create executable COM files. (Believe me, you can use
a batch file to patch executables. did it:)

Without debug, it is still possible, since the set of ASCII
readable machine instructions is sufficient to build an executable
using simple echo>>file statements.

Anyway enough to poke a fast assembly turing machine in.

the-script-to-generate-the-batch-is-left-as-an-excercise:-) - chris

Kaiserin-Augusta-Allee 101   :    *Starship* http://starship.python.net
10553 Berlin                 :     PGP key -> http://wwwkeys.pgp.net