python as a first language?

Mirko Liss n89553 at squid.upb.de
Wed Sep 29 07:43:25 EDT 1999

Craig Hagerman wrote:
> I want to get some feedback on how good Python is to learn for a beginner.

Several months ago, I told my mother how to write programs in Python.
That took approx 30 hours. Now she has written a recipe database app
all by herself. She needed special help with the GUI, though.

> I am interested in learning programming (OOP especially). I studied (bit
> didn't really learn) Fortran ages ago, studied formal logic (math) in
> university and have been playing around with web technologies (Javascript

My mother left school at the age of 14 to study haircutting at her
uncle's shop. Later she learned several foreign languages,
because she was afraid of getting lost during summer vacation.
Python is her first computer language.

The database application is still in alpha but I hope she will soon
release it.

regards,

Mirko Liss

--