multiOS install

Mirko Liss n89553 at squid.upb.de
Fri Sep 3 10:30:06 EDT 1999

EuphoriaDJ wrote:

(description of appointment tracker / database application /
 postmortal fire warning & prevention utility deleted >:-)
> Most of the code is
> pretty streight foreward but I want to be able to give this
> to people who can run it on other OS's
Python Scripts can be executed on any machine with a
working Python distribution. Note that you need Tcl/Tk 8.0
(or wxWindows) if you want GUI support, i.e. buttons and
menus instead of pure text.
Your Python distribution might include Tcl/Tk.

> I think on the Mac there is a program that turns your python
> into native code so that you do not need python libs is this
> true  and is it availible for Windoze also?
I don't think you need this. Just give them a Python script
and a Python distribution that builds out of the box.

However, there is the Freeze utility available from the
source dist of Python. It throws the source code of the
Python Interpreter together with your script and all the
modules it needs. You can only use Freeze if you are able
to _build_ the Python Interpreter from its sources.
The resulting executable file might be large.

There is a script called Python2C.py . You can use it
if you need to speed up several Python modules by compiling
them to C++. It might be helpful if you want to re-code
your application in C++ from a prototype written in Python.
You might want to revisit the Code Python2C produces.

There is JPython. It produces Java and the users of your
application will need to run a browser like Netscape.
JPython is slightly different from Python, though.

Take a look at http://www.python.org .

> next is there anything special I should do for linux user to
> help with install
Please take a look at the fine document written by E Raymond:
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Software-Release-Practice-HOWTO.html
And at the one written by M Cooper:
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Software-Building-HOWTO.html

regards,