a couple IDLE questions

Magnus L. Hetland mlh at idt.ntnu.no
Sat Sep 11 13:40:49 EDT 1999

Guido van Rossum <guido at cnri.reston.va.us> writes:

> "Mark Hammond" <MHammond at skippinet.com.au> writes:
[...]
> > Maybe, but really, is it worth the effort?  How many times do you need to
> > edit Python source that does not live in a .py/.pyw file?

This happens quite a lot for me...

> The design of features like this is all open to suggestion.  I don't
> particularly like the -*- python -*- convention (it's visual pollution
> in my eyes), but the mechanism that decides could be made
> configurable, and there could be a manual override.

How about scanning the #!-line? If it seems to be a python executable
(i.e. the path ends in python) then this is probably a
python-script... Then you wouldn't need two separate identifying
mechanisms...

--

  Magnus              Making no sound / Yet smouldering with passion
  Lie          The firefly is still sadder / Than the moaning insect