Using indentation for blocking

mictali dwaf at my-deja.com
Fri Sep 10 07:39:52 EDT 1999

Please understand I am a complete newbie to Python, so be gentle.

I have been reviewing Python as a scripting language that I could embed
inside things like HTML/XML/SGML.  The concern I have is that since
Python uses indentation for control block marking, if I read a script
out of a document I may not receive the correct indentation.  Some of
the parsers condense whitespace.  I'm delving deeply into SGML as I know
there are settings that can tell it not to strip white space.

I was just wondering why Python was designed to use whitespace as the
block seperators instead of hard indicators (such as {} in C).

Just curious.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/