language interpreters/ interpreted languages weaknesses?

Ian Clarke I.Clarke at strs.co.uk
Wed Sep 1 04:17:17 EDT 1999

> The main weakness I hear about language interpreters/ interpreted
> languages (btw.. is that the same thing?) is that they are slow(?).. is
> this because of the way they handle (data) variables?

And because they need to load an interpreter initially (and sometimes
parse the input file).

> Are there any other major weaknesses of interpreted languages over
> conventional languages such as C, C++, Ada etc.?

Speed is the only one I can think of - although the space required for
the code may also be an issue in some cases.  Also, a compiled piece of
software cannot be reverse-engineered as easily as a Perl or Python
script.... although if you *want* to make your code difficult to
understand Perl is the language of choice :-)

> What are the most popular interpreted languages around?

I guess Perl is the most popular interpreted language today, but Python
is growing in popularity.

--
Ian Clarke -                    http://www.gnu.demon.co.uk/
"A subversive is anyone who can out-argue their government"