Metacomment on discussion forums (was: Python article on Builder.com)

Blake Winton bwinton at tor.dhs.org
Thu Sep 2 21:22:33 EDT 1999

On 26 Aug 1999 22:09:55 GMT, Cameron Laird wrote:

>In article <7DB247B399FED211A73F00600841DDC7099717 at TAL_ENT>,
>Tom Funk  <tdfunk at asd-web.com> wrote:
>>Everyone should comment.  I did...
>Is there a different way to approach those "technical
>forums"?  I find them--I lump Builder.com in with
>slashdot, ...--very unappealing.  Usenet feels like
>home.  Those other places, in contrast, are noisy,
>slow, and frustrating.  I'm open to suggestions on
>whether there's a technical fix that'll change my
>perception, or whether it's a deeper cultural gap that
>I can't or won't bridge.

As a happy user of Slashdot's Moderation System, I'm deeply confused at
your statement that it feels noisier than Usenet.  If you set your
moderation level high enough (3 (out of 5) seems to work for me), pretty
much the only comments you see are high quality.  And there's no spam.

Heck, you can even filter out topics that don't interest you (like Jon
Katz ;).

Give it another try,
Blake.

--
One Will.  One Dream.  One Truth.  One Destiny.  One Love.