language interpreters/ interpreted languages weaknesses?

Blake Winton bwinton at tor.dhs.org
Fri Sep 3 09:45:22 EDT 1999

On Fri, 3 Sep 1999 13:36:18 +0100, Michael Hudson wrote:
>But trying to draw a line down the middle of the world and assigning
>things to one side or the other is a childish pursuit.
>For starter's: what about lisp?
>In a lisp system a function you just type in will usually be
>interpreted, but then at a later date can be compiled to native machine
>code.

And is it Self which compiles some stuff to machine code, and then every
now and then uncompiles it and uses the source, sometimes recompiling it
again?  It sounded like a weird idea when I first read about it, but the
more I thought about it, the weirder it got.

Later,
Blake.

--
One Will.  One Dream.  One Truth.  One Destiny.  One Love.