Python interface to Groupwise mailoxes?

Ivan Van Laningham ivanlan at callware.com
Tue Sep 7 21:56:43 EDT 1999

Hi All--

Warren 'The Howdy Man' Ockrassa wrote:

[bobbit]

> However note that Novell *does* market a POP server which *in theory*
> makes their G'Wise mailboxen available to any POP3 client. It's spendy
> -- about US$1300 for a 50-seat license as I recall -- but it opens the
> gateway, so to speak, and in large companies or companies with many
> users on many OSen or many users travelling amortizes well.
>
> I am still pushing hard at work for that implementation, as the current
> scheme is intolerable (G'Wise client hoses NT4's networking, surprise.)

Yup.  Very badly, too.  W98 users where I work can use the GW client,
but NT users can't.  Which is fine, because the GW client sucks maggots.

> Don't know if they have a gateway for SMTP for sending stuff. Sigh.

Yes, they do.  Here at Callware, we're running the SMTP and the POP3.
They're combined into one NLM called "GWID", I think.  It does work, but
tends to pee on the floor whenever it encounters an email message that
doesn't meet whatever standard it thinks it conforms to.  Gets messy.

The *worst* thing about it is that it refuses to delete your mail after
you download it.  I run the Netscape mail client, and I want the
messages deleted.  There is a setting that allows this, but it's a
*sitewide* setting.  So every couple of weeks or so I have to fire up
the GW client on my '98 machine and delete 5 or 6000 messages.  If it
lets me.  If I let it go too long, then it starts refusing to give me my
new mail until I enlist the IS guy, who expires my old mail for me.

We used to run a Linux mail server.  It just worked.  We hired a new IS
manager, who only knew Novell--guess where the Linux mail server is
now?  That's right:  under my desk, storing 20GB of Mayan glyphs;-)
Didn't want the IS dept. to become "dependent on one person's arcane
knowledge."

In Novell's defense, I have to say that they did respond to our bug
reports on the crashes after bogus email, although a little slowly.
Like one or two months.  Now it only crashes two or three times a month,
instead of five or more times a week.

Additionally, the GW message store is encrypted, so my email is
relatively safe.

<i-guess-that's-what-they-call-a-silver-lining>-ly y'rs,
Ivan
Ivan Van Laningham
Callware Technologies, Inc.
ivanlan at callware.com
ivanlan at home.com
http://www.pauahtun.org
See also:
Army Signal Corps:  Cu Chi, Class of '70