Matching templates against a tree - any ideas?

Fernando Pereira pereira at research.att.com
Sun Sep 26 13:23:53 EDT 1999

In article <37E7A272.51E5C4E1 at strs.co.uk>, Ian Clarke
<I.Clarke at strs.co.uk> wrote:

> This isn't a Python question, but I would imagine that it might appeal
> to the type of people who frequent this list.
>
> While recently thinking of good ways to automatically solve equations, I
> came across the problem of trying to find an efficient method to match a
> tree, or subtree of that tree, against a template - so that a
> transformation could be applied.
This has been the subject of much research. For a recent textbook,
check out Franz Baader and Tobia Nipkow's "Term Rewriting and All
That", Cambridge University Press, more details in
<http://www4.in.tum.de/~nipkow/TRaAT/>. There's also an useful chapter
on the subject in the "Handbook of Theoretical Computer Science", MIT
Press

-- F