error in compiling with gcc 2.95.1

Jeff Blaine jblaine at shell2.shore.net
Mon Sep 27 16:09:44 EDT 1999

GNU CC + IRIX 6.x = nightmare.  I'm not at all surprised by the result of
your compilation.  It's my impression that the GNU CC folks are very
minimally interested in getting GNU CC working well under IRIX 6.x.
That impression could be wrong though...

Several GNU CC 2.7.3 and 2.8.1 builds of GNU CC ago, I realized that GNU CC
under IRIX was a losing effort.  We build all of our IRIX 6.2 and 6.4
packages at work with IRIX's unbundled 'cc', because it works and produces
functioning binaries.

What 'bugs' are you referring to in Python 1.5.2 with IRIX?  I don't see
anything about IRIX bugs mentioned in the README.