What GUI-lib to use

Randall Hopper aa8vb at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 29 11:31:15 EDT 1999

Thomas Weholt <thomas at bibsyst.no>
 |Fredrik Lundh:
 | |Thomas Weholt:
 | | |Tk looks - well, rather old. My main concern is that the gtk-lib is to
 | | |premature to use for gui-development, ...This thoughts are based on
 | | |"feelings",
 | | |Could Tk get a more modern look perhaps and solve all our problems?
 | |
 | |maybe, but that depends on what "more modern look" means.
 |
 |More like Gtk and KDE. Hotbuttons, themes and all the other crap stolen
 |from Windows. ...page showing off Tk-based apps. that don`t look
 |aged/out-dated, ...I still want to make nice looking apps too.

Because I'm interested, I'd still like to come back to Fredrik's question.
To you, what list of features identifies a modern look.  You mentioned
hotbuttons (is this like a taskbar?) and themes (is this like MSWin desktop
themes -- global color prefs?).  What else?

FWIW, I'm not a die hard convert for any of the scripting GUIs; I'll make
time to try a new one given sufficient reason.  Unfortunately, most Python
GUI threads just say "try X", "try Y", "I don't like Z", which is basically
useless.

--
Randall Hopper
aa8vb at yahoo.com