Infinity and you (was Re: Turing Compliant?)

Andrew M. Kuchling akuchlin at mems-exchange.org
Thu Sep 9 14:53:29 EDT 1999

"Gordon McMillan" <gmcm at hypernet.com> writes:
> My already low opinion of /. went thru the floor when I saw the flame
> was boosted because it was "humorous". I'd call /. a sports-bar for
> geeks, but that would be an insult to sports-bars.

In a very weak defense of /., I'll point out that discussions are
usually tolerable when they're about some forbiddingly technical topic
that won't entice every clueless bozo to offer their opinion.  For
example, I wrote a review of the Jones-Lins garbage collection book,
and the resulting comments were mostly quite interesting, modulo a bit
of flames aimed at Java.
(http://slashdot.org/books/99/03/29/1759239.shtml, in case anyone
cares.)  Unfortunately, the items selected are getting less and less
technical these days; the way to mass adulation isn't paved with
algorithmic discussions.

Cinema is far too rich and capable a medium to be merely left to the
storytellers.
    -- Peter Greenaway, from the introduction to _A Zed and Two Noughts_ (1986)