Moving from Perl to Python

Thomas Weholt thomas at bibsyst.no
Fri Sep 24 10:06:49 EDT 1999

Hi,

I got some experience in Perl, but want to move over to Python for
several reasons. One is discussed in an earlier thread, another is the
fact that I`m having a hard time understanding effective perl-scripts
due to the syntax. Python seem better, ie. easier to read.

I got almost every book available on Perl published by O`reilly and one
of them, The Perl Cookbook, stands out as the most helpful. I was
wondering if there  were any other book or document online available for
Python? It has the structure of a simple question or desription of a
common task and code examples + explanation on how to solve it.

Another thing that could help was if there was a document describing how
to migrate from Perl to Python, with examples.

PS ! I`m using hashes and modules in Perl, like MLDBM and MP3Info, are
there any similar modules for Python? I know Python can read hash-tables
created with the DB_File-module, but can it read/write files created
with the MLDBM-module?

If this mail is incomprehensible etc. I`m sorry. I was in a hurry.
Thanks anyway.

Thomas Weholt,
Norway