CygWin version

Tim Peters tim_one at email.msn.com
Mon Sep 20 04:15:57 EDT 1999

[Hirsch, John]
> Sorry to appear so stupid, But if I open an MS-DOS window then install
> Doskey it installs OK and works. But if I then start Python in
> the same DOS window, Doskey does not seem to work within Python what
> is my problem.?

I think Bill must have misread your question, and addressed a different one
with a *nice* answer <wink>.  AFAIK, doskey doesn't, never has, and never
will work with C's stdio (which Python uses).  Python would need to use the
low-level Win32-specific  console I/O functions (_cgets() & friends) for
doskey-- or even any editing key other than backspace --to work.  The odds
of that happening are zilch.

Why not use Guido's IDLE, or download Mark Hammond's PythonWin?  They have
much more capable interactive shells than anything doskey could do, or even
GNU readline.  Note that IDLE shipped with 1.5.2, so you should already have
it.  Try Start -> Programs -> Python 1.5 -> IDLE (Python GUI).  Note that
you must have installed Tcl/Tk for this to work.  Mark's PythonWin doesn't
require that.

offer-void-where-prohibited-ly y'rs  - tim