Reaching subtrees

François Pinard pinard at iro.umontreal.ca
Sat Sep 18 16:17:43 EDT 1999

"Tim Peters" <tim_one at email.msn.com> écrit:

> If you have, say, 2**N possible tree structures in mind [...]

We usually want to transform "interesting" trees.  OK, OK...  I really mean
those few we know how to transform, often a small fraction of the whole set.
Tree traversals in both directions help, of course; easy for Python.

> I suppose a hierarchical approach could be made to work quickly, though,
> like [...]  But that kind of code is pretty obscure!

Agreed.  Such style does not give Python much of an advantage, here.

> See section 6.3 [...]  John Aycock has written [...] and astonishingly
> slow <0.9 wink>.

Thanks for the references, and for your overall help, Tim, by the way.
I'll proceed into these references while my learning continues.  Hmph!
You surely meant <0.1 wink>, above? :-)

> [...] handy to unpack a structure whose form is known in advance.
> The latter is what it was designed for, of course!  Trying to use it
> for more than that will probably get clumsy.

I'm cooling down :-).  Nevertheless, it is fun to let some enthusiasm flow
in, while discovering Python features...