Interactive Python hangs emacs shells on W95,98,NT

Alex Rice alex at mindlube.com
Mon Sep 13 23:42:03 EDT 1999

Robert Yodlowski wrote:

> Whenever I've tried to start an interactive Python session from within an
> emacs shell in either W95, 98 or NT, the shell "hangs" as soon as I give the
> "python" command on the shell command line. The hang is hard and even when I
> kill the process, seems to damage my W9x session so that I usually have to
> reboot the machine.

I've seen the same problem on Win32 XEmacs, but I *only* had the problem the
when running a GUI program: I was experimenting with wxWindows/wxPython at the
time.

Have you tried C-c ! while in a python-mode buffer? This should split your frame
and start a python session in one frame. C-c C-c will execute the current Python
buffer. If I recall correctly, those worked fine.

Alex Rice
Mindlube Software