Building packages with NT port of Python

Robert Kern kernr at mail.ncifcrf.gov
Fri Sep 10 14:16:23 EDT 1999

On Fri, 10 Sep 1999 11:05:47 -0400, "Bob Kline" <bobklin at idt.net>
wrote:

>This is a re-post of a question I posted a week ago.  I didn't
>get a response from anyone who knows the answer, so I'd
>like to ask for advice from those who have more experience
>with this newsgroup for how to modify the presentation of the
>question so as to increase the chances I'll get an answer.
>
>For example, perhaps I was too specific, and I should have
>asked a more general question, like "what do need to know
>or read in order to build contributed packages on NT if I'm
>using the version installed from the py152.exe downloaded
>from the Web site?"

To build extension modules, you will need a C compiler.  Use MSVC++ 5
or 6 if you have one of them; otherwise, see my page
how to use GCC-2.95/mingw32 (free!) to compile Python extensions.

Please read sections 2 and 3 of the Python Extending and Embedding
Tutorial  <URL: http://www.python.org/doc/current/ext/ext.html>.

You will then have to do most of the things in build.py manually.
Most notably, the part that failed for you, copying Makefile.pre.in.
Makefile.pre.in does not exist in the distribution for Windows because
there is no really good defined behaviour for it there.
Makefile.pre.in is used on Unices to parse a Setup file to generate a
Makefile to compile the extension (see Section 2 of the Extending,
etc. Tutorial).  With MSVC, you would use David Ascher's compile.py
script <URL: http://starship.python.net:9673/crew/da/compile/> to
parse the Setup file and generate project files (MSVC's rough
equivalent of a UNIX makefile).  With GCC, you would use the
compmgw.py script on my page.

Then carry out whatever following steps there are in build.py
yourself.

>TIA.

[snip]

>The version of Python:
>Python 1.5.2 (#0, Apr 13 1999, 10:51:12) [MSC 32 bit (Intel)] on win32
>Installed from py152.exe and python-win32all-125.exe, downloaded from
>http://www.python.org/download/download_windows.html.  Obviously the
>NT installation is missing some pieces.  Can I get a tip on where to look
>for the missing pieces?

Notably, a C compiler.  ;-)

>If it's in the FAQ (I looked) just whack me over
>the head and give me a string to search for.
>
>Thanks.
>
>Bob Kline
>bkline at rksystems.com

Robert Kern           |
----------------------|"In the fields of Hell where the grass grows high
This space            | Are the graves of dreams allowed to die."
intentionally         |           - Richard Harter
left blank.           |