python call external program (WHAT THE?!)

Jeff jam at quark.emich.edu
Thu Sep 16 10:04:19 EDT 1999

On Thu, Sep 16, 1999 at 01:47:44PM +0000, Ben Thomas wrote:
> I am using Python not VBasic for the expressed purpose of moving off the Windows
> platform. I cannot , however, do it too quickly. Please bear with us folks who
> are working contracts that specify Windows, we are converting the programs and
> peoples attitudes as fast as we can. :)
>
> sorry for the simple question
> Ben

I'm sure he didn't mean to be harsh.. you're trying, which is what matters.

if you are trying to write portable code, I would go with the suggestion below
of using forward slashes in path names... if it doesn't work by default under
windows, you can write yourself a simple function that *can* do it for you, and
filter all your pathnames through it-- the '/' is more natural anyway. have a look
at the 'os.path' module <URL:http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/module-os.path.html>.

regards,