module location

Boudewijn Rempt boud at rempt.xs4all.nl
Sat Sep 25 15:08:02 EDT 1999

I'm working on my first large(ish) python project - a linguistics database
application - and I'm trying to keep my sources ordered, and my layers
separated, and having some problems doing it right.

So I've got a database access module, a middleware module, an abstract
gui module, and finally the actual application, which binds the gui to
the middleware. Currently, I've laid my project out as follows:

lng (contains start script, readme, on so on)
  /kuralib (contains the actual app
	   /db   (database layer)
		 /gui  (gui widgets)
		 /lng  (middleware - table and record objects)

But now my problem is that the middleware also needs to access the db
layer - as does the application itself (for connecting and so on). What's
the received wisdom in this case? Do I make the db layer a separate
module which I install in /usr/lib/python/site-packages, or do I make
db a submodule of lng, and pass the connection on to the main application?

I really want to keep everything as separate as possible, to ease the
task of people who want to port the application to windows - something
I won't be doing myself.

--

Boudewijn Rempt  | http://www.xs4all.nl/~bsarempt