Splitting c.l.py (was Re: python call external program (WHAT THE?!))

Aahz Maruch aahz at netcom.com
Thu Sep 16 10:52:56 EDT 1999

In article <Pine.SOL.3.96.990916080716.17078J-100000 at sundial>,
Moshe Zadka  <mzadka at geocities.com> wrote:

>Should we consider forking the group, creating
>
>comp.lang.python.windows
>comp.lang.python.misc
>comp.lang.python.numeric (Now that the Matrix-SIG is more about using
>                          NumPy rather then developing for it)
>(And if anyone volunteers,
>comp.lang.python.moderated)

Speaking as a news.groups regular, the answer is "No".  We don't have
enough traffic, nor is there enough Windows-specific traffic to warrant
its own newsgroup.  We don't get a lot of trolls, so c.l.py.moderated is
unnecessary; to the extent that it is, c.l.py.announce could be better
used than it currently is (for example, the Weekly Python URL doesn't go
to c.l.py.announce).

To illustrate how difficult splitting traffic is, I notice that you
don't mention Tkinter, which makes up a substantial part of the c.l.py
traffic.

If neither Matrix-SIG nor the newsgroup are providing sufficient support
for NumPy, start a new mailing list.  It's easy with Mailman.  ;-)

{As a side note, the "standard" for splitting a newsgroup ranges among
newsgroup regulars from one hundred to three hundred posts per day.
We're nowhere near even the low end of that.  And the lower the traffic,
the more-clearly delineated it must be.}
--
                      --- Aahz (@netcom.com)

Androgynous poly kinky vanilla queer het    <*>      http://www.rahul.net/aahz/
Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6  (if you want to know, do some research)