high school programming & python

Cliff, or a close facsimile cjc26 at nospam.cornell.edu
Sat Sep 11 11:40:11 EDT 1999

Pada Fri, 10 Sep 1999 19:36:05 GMT, Les Schaffer bilang:

| they \quote use \unquote C++, having recently changed from pascal. but
| they dont teach any class/object stuff. when i asked her how far they
| get in the class, she said "up through arrays".
|
| they dont do any graphical/GUI coding at all.

We didn't even have a programming class in my high school (graduated in
'96).  But if we did, and if it were anything like what you're describing,
I would've been scarred for life. :(  I mean, it sounds like this was
*designed* to bore the students to death.  Even taking a few CS classes in
college has taken some of the fun out of programming for me..

Here's an article about AP programming classes, from a student's viewpoint:
<http://www.inf-gr.htw-zittau.de/~wagenkn/Natasha_Chen.html>
Maybe you could get your teacher to read this.

--
cliff crawford   http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/cjc26/
            There are more stars in the sky than there are