os.popen results differ run by browser vs DOS prompt

campbeld2 at my-deja.com campbeld2 at my-deja.com
Fri Sep 17 10:20:40 EDT 1999

#!/bin/env python

"""
test.py

This sample program illustrates my dilema.

I am trying to execute a command ( could be any
command ) within Python and capture the output.
It works fine when I run it at command level,
however when I invoke the script in the browser
the code does not return any values from the
os.popen(...)readlines.  I tried try: and except:
but nothing is trapped.

Any ideas?

------

 test.py :
 returns correct results at command level (great)
 returns nothing through Browser !!!
"""
import os

print 'Content-Type: text/html\n\n',
for line in os.popen( 'cd','r' ).readlines():
	print '...within for loop \n\n'
	cd = line

print 'cd = ', cd, '\n\n'

#end of test.py