Linux Dependencies! Grrr...What now?

Jeff jam at quark.emich.edu
Wed Sep 22 12:34:56 EDT 1999

On Tue, Sep 21, 1999 at 03:28:00PM -0700, H. P. Friedrichs wrote:
> While I have having successfully written some scripts for python 1.4 (on
> my rh5.0 linux box), and successfully installing mysql, I have been
> trying for a week to figure out how to get the mysqldb module to work
> (to allow python to talk to mysql).
>
> First, I found out that mysqldb will only work with python 1.5.2...which
> necessitated an upgrade. Dependencies! Dependencies! I ended up
> installing python, python-devel, blt, tix _tkinter and tkinter. (I've
> been warned that as the result of my upgrade, I have now "broken"
> netcfg, but I'll deal with that on another day.)
>
> Now I go to install mysqldb, and it complains, among other things, of
> missing files and directories. Looks like I need mysql-devel.
> Dependencies! Dependencies!
>
> I go to the web and find it. I try to install the rpm, and it won't. It
> seems I need glibc6 (2.0 and 2.1). But what about everything compiled
> with the existing library? What happens if I "upgrade" to glibc6? What
> do I risk breaking by doing that?

my suggestion would be to attempt to upgrade to rh6.0, or build the python
rpm yourself by downloading the src rpm.. if you already have a production
system, the number of rpms you have to upgrade after you install libc6 is
quite large, and redhat has already done that work for you with the 6.0 cd.

in terms of breaking netcfg, unless you are using it heavily, that shouldn't
be all that big a deal. at least it didn't bring down my machine when I
upgraded. rumor has it that the 'lorax' (6.1) release of redhat has fixed
these issues, and I believe the patches are fairly simple to put into place
by hand-- there are issues with the change to the interpreter that enforces
the 'no keyword arguments after regular function arguments' feature.. i.e.:

'def foo(bing, baz=None, bar)' is no longer a valid expression and generates
a compile error, whereas in previous versions it compiled just fine (and
defaulted the argument to 'None').

in summary: upgrade to 6.0 (or 6.1 if you are brave-- it's still in beta)
or compile from a tarball and install it into /usr/local (doing the same
with the other extensions that you need).

hope that helps. ;)

regards,