language interpreters/ interpreted languages weaknesses?

Phil Wise philwise at geocities.com
Wed Sep 1 18:20:57 EDT 1999

On 1 Sep 1999 15:30:16 GMT, m.faassen at vet.uu.nl (Martijn
Faassen) Anounced to the internet:

:->Ian Clarke <I.Clarke at strs.co.uk> wrote:
:->
:->>> What are the most popular interpreted languages around?
:->
:->> I guess Perl is the most popular interpreted language today, but Python
:->> is growing in popularity.
:->
:->I think Java can compete in popularity with Perl. And Java's (usually)
:->interpreted.
:->
:->Regards,
:->
:->Martijn
:->
This is a bit missleading, since although Java _is_
interpreted, it is compiled into java byte code, which is
not very different to machine code. You could call the Java
VM an emulator for a never created computer, then Java would
count as compiled.

Java also is very unlike any other interpreted language
because it has real typing and none (few) of the performance
issues that are associated with other interpreted languages.
Java has a just in time compiler, I don't know if other
scripting languages do, (a JIT for python would be
interesting)
</troll>

Before discussing this it would be a good idea to define
most popular?
Most loved?
Most Lines?
etc..