1.5.2 NT install question(s) - partial answer

Mark Jackson mjackson at wc.eso.mc.xerox.com
Fri Sep 10 21:58:06 EDT 1999

kernr at mail.ncifcrf.gov (Robert Kern) writes:
> On 10 Sep 1999 03:17:40 GMT, mjackson at wc.eso.mc.xerox.com (Mark
> Jackson) wrote:
>
> >mjackson at wc.eso.mc.xerox.com (Mark Jackson) writes:
>
> [snip]
>
> >Still working on this one.  Reinstalling Python and Tcl outside Program
> >Files changes the error message:

[snip]

> >Note that tk.tcl is present, in D:/Tcl/lib/tk8.0, contrary to the error
> >message.  I've exercised some of the Tk demos directly and they seem
> >OK.  Suggestions?
>
> From the bottom of
> http://www.pythonware.com/people/fredrik/fyi/fyi02.htm
>
> """I Get "bad event type or keysym MouseWheel"
>
> This means that you're using a fresh Tk library (the .tcl files found
> under something/library) with an old DLL. Maybe you have old Tcl/Tk
> DLL's in the system directory (see above)."""

Yes, hunting down rogue instances of tk*.dll and tcl*.dll (found in
System32), deleting them, and adding D:/Tcl/bin to PATH fixed the
problem.  Thanks also to Fredrik Lundh for a similar note (and for
maintaining the web page in question!).

	Spend the optimal amount of time on each decision
	and pretty soon you run out of life.
				- Steven Waldman