Python in the future

Jeff Massung jmassung at magpiesystems.com
Wed Apr 19 11:12:55 EDT 2000

IMHO, C++ will DEFINITELY be here 10 years from now, as will assembler -
they are just inherent in computers - the core languages (used to make
Python, Java, Basic, etc). But I personally think that as computers grow in
speed exponentially, and the internet becomes much faster (10 years, maybe
everyone will have T1 access?) interpreted languages will be increasingly
more important and used widespread - not for sale (because the code is
needed), but rather for distribution within a business, or with other
programs, the web, etc.

Of course I'm refering to interpreted languages as a whole. Now to just
Python. I am new to Python, but being an accomplished C/C++ programmer, I
have already begun seeing the power and use of Python. And like Java (and I
believe unlike Perl) has a great following and good programmers commited to
its success (Perl I feel is more of a "hack"ing language that people that
don't code in other languages use).

So to conclude - I feel Python and Java will have a strong presence in the
near and far futures. Of course they will be different from how they are
today - and possibly in how they are used, but they will be there.

Jeff