Tkinter: "Get root for a widget" is private?

Fredrik Lundh effbot at telia.com
Mon Apr 3 06:59:10 EDT 2000

Randall Hopper <aa8vb at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Given this it seems we should have a public root() method.  Could we
> add a:
>
>     root = _root
>
> definition to Tkinter's Misc class, to make this a public feature?

the question is why?

if you're only out to get an interpreter handle (e.g. to
instantiate a variable or image object), any widget will
do.

if you wish to find the original application window, I'd say
it's much cleaner if you keep track of that by yourself

(IMO and IME, a good GUI design has one application level
object, which should *not* be a subclass of Tk).

so why, exactly, do you need the root?

</F>