Trouble compiling PyGreSQL 2.4 on Linux

Oleg Broytmann phd at phd.russ.ru
Mon Apr 24 07:28:21 EDT 2000

On Sun, 23 Apr 2000, Martin SkЬtt wrote:
> I'm trying to compile the PyGreSQL 2.4 module on my Red Hat Linux 6.1
> box. I use the following command:
>
> gcc -fpic -shared -o _pg.so -I/usr/include/python1.5
> -I/usr/local/pgsql/include pgmodule.c -lpq
>
> With the following result:
> pgmodule.c: In function `pgconnect':
> pgmodule.c:694: warning: passing arg 4 of `PyArg_ParseTupleAndKeywords' from incompatible pointer type
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot open -lpq: No such file or directory

   You forget to mention path to postgres libs (-L /usr/local/pgsql/lib).

> I can't use the make command mentioned in the readme.linux file
> because the simply isn't any make file in the archive. Can you help me
> getting it compiled?

   There is no Makefile 'cause the module is intended to use standard
Python Makefile.pre.in/Setup.in scheme.

> And a little addon queston:
> How stable is the DB-API version of the PostgreSQL module? Can it
> be used for production work (or semi serious)?

   It was relased few days ago, so it just hadn't been tested...

----
    Oleg Broytmann      Foundation for Effective Policies      phd at phd.russ.ru