Python 1.6 alpha 1 released

Michael Hudson mwh21 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Apr 3 06:26:49 EDT 2000

breiter at usf.Uni-Osnabrueck.DE (Bernhard Reiter) writes:

> In article <200004010159.LAA00403 at piglet.dstc.edu.au>,
> 	David Arnold <arnold at dstc.edu.au> writes:
> > -->"Bjorn" == Bjorn Pettersen <bjorn at roguewave.com> writes:
> >
> >   Bjorn> The more time I spend on fixing
> >   Bjorn> compatibility issues in Python scripts, the less time I spend
> >   Bjorn> on "real" work.
> >
> > you have been using incorrect arguments.  the fact that they worked
> > was unfortunate because it leads to circumstances like this.  but the
> > time you have spent on these emails would have been enough to run a
> > simple script over your code to fix the problem ... ;-)
>
> Hmm how simple would a script be to get all occurences of:
>
> 	socket.connect(what, \
> 			else \
> 			)
>
> 	sc=socket.connect
>
> 	sc(what,else)
> 	sc(what, \
> 		else)

Yes, but `grep -w connect' and the minimal application of a human
eyeball is surely enough to get 90%+ of the cases sorted out.  I can't
imagine sock.connect is called from all that many places in one's code
(but I might be wrong).  And, to answer you're question, about as
complicated as:

http://x42.deja.com/[ST_rn=ps]/getdoc.xp?AN=591243549

after `sed -e s/append/connect/', which doesn't get the bound method
case, but I am having trouble imagining circumstances in which you'd
reasonably do that.

Cheers,
M.

--
well, take it from an old hand: the only reason it would be easier
to program in C is that you can't easily express complex  problems