editor for win32

Josef Dalcolmo dalcolmo at mediaone.net
Sat Apr 22 13:43:21 EDT 2000

Scott Hathaway <slhath at flash.net> wrote in message
news:NpHL4.779$fK2.113609 at news.flash.net...
> Can anyone recommend a python editor for Windows?
>
> If there is an IDE for windows (other than IDLE), even better.

Yes, there is Pythonwin (download and install(run) Win32all.exe). Thats a
full IDE

If you just want an editor any of the ones others already recommended are
good, but beware that Emacs is huge (20+ MB), and not trivial to learn,
although powerful.

Vim is good too, and some versions can use Python as an extension language,
but again, unless you come from the unix world it may appear rather strange
to you and your fingers.

PFE is a bit less powerful than the two above, but is a real Windows
application, easy to learn and has some quite neat features, I use it a lot.

If you like Emacs, but don't want the 20MB monster and don't need Lisp, you
can use Jed, which comes with a good Python mode too.

I use all of the above at times. PFE is the only one without a specific
Python mode, but I still use it the most, since I find it is the best
integrated with Windows (I use it as a Notepad replacement). For Python
programming I use mostly Win32all from the python site.

- Josef