FAQ questions

Andrew Dalke dalke at acm.org
Fri Apr 14 22:38:36 EDT 2000

Just decided to reread the FAQ.  Came across a few things:

section 4.26:
> For more information, read the source of the standard (but
> undocumented) module newdir.

I've never heard if it and it's not present in my install of
PythonWin 1.5.2.  Ahh, it's in Lib/lib-old/newdir.py .

Searching for 'newdir',
http://www.python.org/workshops/1995-05/sftmgmtsess.html
it looks like newdir is now the standard dir?

4.77:
> DocumentTemplate is part of the Bobo objects publishing system
> (http:/www.digicool.com/releases) but can be used independantly
> of course!

I assume that should read Zope now?

6.4:
>  "Why don't strings have methods like index() or sort(), like lists?"

I would like to add:
] String methods will be added in Python 1.6.  Besides the various
] requests, they were also added to support both 8-bit and
] unicode strings.

but I've lost Guido's PSA email about the FAQ password.  :(

6.8:
> Can't you emulate threads in the interpreter instead of relying
> on an OS-specific thread implementation?

Do the microthreads people want to add something to this?

                    Andrew
                    dalke at acm.org