gaming and python

Martijn Faassen m.faassen at vet.uu.nl
Tue Apr 18 15:45:02 EDT 2000

sp00fD <sp00fD at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Well, I'd have a hard time believing that you could program something
> like quake, but you could probably do a decent job with tetris or the
> like.  Check out PySDL http://pysdl.sourceforge.net/, I haven't used
> it, but it's probably exactly what you need, SDL is apparently a cross
> platform library for game programming.

It's way cool! I've been playing it from Python and both SDL and the
wrapper are excellent, and both are improving. It's amazingly easy to do
graphics from Python -- easy to build up your abstractions and so on. And
still pretty fast so far. Though I'm sure I'll run into the limitations
eventually and have to start moving some parts into C.

SDL is quite low-level, PySDL too but a bit less so. You will probably
need to know a little about bitmapped graphics concepts to be able to
use it effectively -- coordinates, pixels, RGB colors, and blitting. It's
not hard to play with it all from Python, though.

Anyway, PySDL is definitely recommended. I heard a Windows port of it
still needs to be tested, perhaps someone could take a look at it? I've
been using it in Linux without problems.

Regards,

Martijn