Scripting and Gnome and KDE

Boudewijn Rempt boud at rempt.xs4all.nl
Sun Apr 16 04:09:48 EDT 2000

Andrew Dalke <dalke at acm.org> wrote:

> Even though it says "The result is a great environment for rapid
> development of GUI-based applications." ?

Yes - the article didn't make clear what was so great, but it did point
out a lot of problems (lack of documentation, inconsistent API's, bugs).

> I used to work at Bioreason, though I wasn't involved in the GUI
> development.  They are pretty happy about PyGTK.  The idea of the
> DDJ article was to point out how to take advantage of the toolkit,
> based on finding out what doesn't work.

Very honest, but it doesn't make me all that eager ;-).

> You could write a similarly bleak picture of any toolkit.

Absolutely, but I don't know that an essay on the problems is exactly
the right way of introducing the toolkit.

--

Boudewijn Rempt  | http://www.valdyas.org