ODMG 3.0 and Python

Warren Postma embed at geocities.com
Mon Apr 17 11:57:35 EDT 2000

I was just reading at the ODMG's home page (www.odmg.org) that they have
released ODMG 3.0, and it represents a not-so-subtle-shift in what they
consider the ODMG standard to involve. I quote from the disclaimer added
above the existing online documentation which covers only the "2.0"
standard.

"Note: This text is for ODMG 2.0.  The new release, ODMG 3.0, was published
in January
2000.   The following text does not reflect the ODMG's charter change.  The
ODMG is now
an Object Storage API standard that can work with any DBMS or tool.  We are
in the process of changing all references to Object Databases (ODBMS) to
Object Data. "

Isn't it neat when a standards body actually ADMITs it is time to
refactor/rename their
standard?

Anyways... Is anybody interested in an ODMG-3.0 compliant database for
Python?
That would be a LARGE undertaking, but perhaps we could Borgle
(borrow+burgle) bits of gadfly to help out, such as the excellent kjbuckets,
parser, and other similar bits. As for the underlying data store, persisting
Python objects is already trivial, so adding a variety of persistence
techniques (b+tree of marshalled or pickled objects, etc) would not exactly
be Difficult.  A certain amount of C++ and Smalltalk Bias would have to be
overcome, but that's not insurmountable.

Warren