Python 2.0 - case sensitivity can be a good thing, but don't abuse it.

Warren Postma embed at geocities.com
Thu Apr 27 15:52:17 EDT 2000

> Yow.  I would personally consider that one a disaster, but my vote
> doesn't count for much.  I very much like the idiom of an instance
> being a lowercased version of its class name, in some cases.

To me, any code that works like that would be a disaster:

class X:
    pass
x = X()

Yuck!  I guess it's a matter of taste though.  I tend to steer the course of
"if this works in Python but would be awful in C or Pascal, then I don't do
it that way". This is similar to avoiding having "regional dialect" stuff
creep into the professional writing I do. Case sensitivity or insensitivity,
or relying on either as part of my code style, therefore does not 'pass
muster'.

I am fine with Python staying case sensitive, because it forces neater
coding conventions, much like the tabification forces neater indentation,
and in the end, even beginners appreciate this.  :-)

Warren