Python 1.6a2 Unicode bug (was Re: comparing strings and ints)

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Wed Apr 26 08:02:10 EDT 2000

Carey Evans wrote:
> In the latest versions of Perl and Tcl, aren't all strings Unicode
> strings anyway?

yes.  or no, depending on how you view things.

the important issue is that in both languages, a string is always
a sequence of characters.  the length of a string is always the
number of characters, independent of the internal encoding.
indexing and slicing works as expected.  etc.

or in short, whatever internal encoding a string happens to
use, it's usually not visible for the programmer.

that's not true for python 1.6a2.

> It seems to me you're still in for _less_ of a surprise in Python 1.6.

have you played with the current 1.6 implementation?

</F>