Very Horrible Question About Goto's

Thomas Wouters thomas at xs4all.net
Wed Apr 19 11:53:10 EDT 2000

On Wed, Apr 19, 2000 at 11:17:21AM -0400, Gaetan Corneau wrote:

> I was surprised to learn that Python doesn't have a goto statement.

Really ? I never really wondered about it. I use goto in C sometimes, mostly
as a performance hack, but performance issues are moot in Python. I haven't
seen a single bit of code that needed a goto. When it needs a goto, it's
usually misshapen(*) in other ways as well.

(* my own, purely objective <1.1 wink> opinion, of course.)

> Would it be difficult to add?

Hopefully. I hope whoever implements it has to do so using a burning
lava-chair, on a keyboard with diamond spikes instead of keys... and i would
like to see his face when Guido rejects the patch :-)

Continuations, however, are something else entirely... you can possibly do
what you want with continuations, and continuations, continuations are very
very very very cool ;)

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at xs4all.net>