Huh? func_defaults, default values in function calls

Jeff Senn senn at maya.com
Wed Apr 12 11:14:41 EDT 2000

"Fredrik Lundh" <effbot at telia.com> writes:

> > This way you'll never really know what the default is going to be.
>
> uhuh?  so you mean evaluating the default value every time the
> function is called would automatically make it easier to know what
> the default is going to be?  what about non-trivial default values?
> what about scoping?  what about side effects? what about per-
> formance?  etc.
>
> > Ha ha ha ha. that's pathetic.
>
> really?  I'm pretty sure Guido designed things this way on purpose,

Yep. Note (also) that you can use a non-mutable value as the
default if you don't want this behavior. Oh....I mean... if there *are*
such in things in the language...  maybe I should go wade into the
do-we-really-need-immutable-aggregates-in-Python argument....

...maybe not...;-)

mutably-winkingly-
-Jas