Project idea - python

Bob Schmertz schmertz at wam.umd.edu
Tue Apr 18 11:41:59 EDT 2000

On Tue, 18 Apr 2000, Shae Erisson wrote:

>Parag Shah wrote:
>>
>> hi,
>>    i am planning to do a project for my bachelors where i wish to write a translator for a language (undecided at
>> the moment ) which generates java bytecode. how do i go about doing it???
>> thanx in advance
>> cheers

This is almost exactly what I'm doing for a class, only we're actually
using Java.

>read up on jpython, it uses JavaCC.
>
>http://www.jpython.org/docs/compile.html

You may also want to use the following:

Plex - essentially a Python version of Lex, the most popular lexical
analyzer (http://www.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/~greg/python/Plex/)

SPARK - sounds like a Python implementation of Yacc/Bison, though from
what I can tell it doesn't handle complex grammars such as LR
(http://www.csr.UVic.CA/~aycock/python/)

JavaClass - OK, I haven't had a chance to look at this, and since it's in
and about Java, I'm not sure if this is actually going to help.  Anyway,
this seems to be related to generating or manipulating Java bytecode.

Is this the sort of help you were looking for?

--
Cheers,
Bob Schmertz