Python 1.6 alpha 1 released

Fredrik Lundh effbot at telia.com
Sat Apr 1 05:26:58 EST 2000

James Logajan <JamesL at Lugoj.Com> wrote:
> Also, how good are you at math? You seem to feel that 5 minutes of "Guido
> the god's" time is of much more value than that of 1000 knuckle-dragging
> Neanderthal programmers like myself spending a mere 10 minutes each to
make
> sure their code doesn't break. Of course, if we happen to take more than
10
> minutes its our own damn fault I'm sure you'll agree.

the strange thing here is that there are changes listed on
that page that are far more difficult to spot and fix, but for
some reason, neither you or bjorn seem to care.

instead, bjorn announced that he'd never upgrade to 1.6
based on a single change in 1.6a1, despite the fact that
there will be a 1.6a2, a3, b1, b2, rc1, etc. before it's time
to really make that decision.

others have politely asked for backwards compatibility on
this one (which would mean *adding* extra code to handle
multiple calling syntaxes).  someone will probably come up
with a patch well before the next alpha, but probably not
because you guys are flaming away on this newsgroup.

besides, the notion that 10 minutes spent on fixing this will
outweigh all others costs involved in upgrading to a new
release of the core interpreter strikes me as rather odd...

(heck, both of you have probably spent far more than ten
minutes each writing your posts...)

> Now how did I get so pissed over this exchange of posts?

now how come I find your "guido the god" argument to be
directly offensive?

</F>