Two questions

Martijn Faassen m.faassen at vet.uu.nl
Wed Apr 5 14:04:31 EDT 2000

Timothy Grant <tjg at avalongroup.net> wrote:
> mxODBC works beautifully, but I've never used it to access and access
> database, only SQL database. Perchance do you know how Windows
> advertises an Access database to an ODBC driver?

Windows does this automagically. If you have the ODBC manager in the
control panel, you can create a system DSN that points to the Access
database file. It'll allow you to send SQL to your db. You don't even
have to have MS Access installed, just the ODBC stuff.

Of course you can only access it from a Windows box, though there are
ODBC bridging solutions so you can connect to a Windows box with the
database on it over the network and transparently use ODBC from your
Unix machine.

Regards,

Martijn