Simple list.append() question

Michael Hudson mwh21 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Apr 28 09:21:02 EDT 2000

Christian Tismer <tismer at tismer.com> writes:
> > Greg Ewing <greg at cosc.canterbury.ac.nz> writes:
> > > Maybe the LC syntax should include something like
> > >
> > >    [[] times 10]
> >
> > But wouldn't that make "times" a keyword?  Not sure I'd want that...
>
> Currently, yes, but it is absolutely not necessary to be so.
> It requires to change the grammar to treat operators
> differently.

But then what happens to things like

  times = 10
  return [[] times times]

?  I'm not sure context senstive keywords are a good idea (in any
language, ever).  Currently a naked identifier in Python is either a
variable reference or a keyword, and you can tell which just by
looking at *it*, not at its surroundings - and I think I like that.

Though it would be occasionally useful to be able to call a variable
`class'.

Cheers,
M.

--
  nonono,  while we're making wild  conjectures about the behavior
  of completely  irrelevant tasks,  we must not  also make serious