Scripting and Gnome and KDE

Boudewijn Rempt boud at rempt.xs4all.nl
Tue Apr 18 01:45:42 EDT 2000

ben at co.and.co wrote:

> Layout managment was a relief after some MFC experience, and when I made
> the mistake of choosing a 22pt default font in licq (Qt plugin), I
> started seeing the merits of it. But then again, I'm not a seasoned Qt
> developper.

I can imagine with that background ;-). I've spent some time on layout
management in Visual Basic, until I discovered the various third party
controls that automate it, so I feel with you. Of course, Qt offers a
lot of possibilities in layout management. There's even a graphical
gui designer, qtArchitect, that lets you design dialogs with layout
management.

> After reading the tutorial on http://wwww.valdyas.org (hope I get it
> right), I wondered how much PyQt and PyGtk resembled each other.
> IMVVHO, a general purpose signal/slot-mechanism would be nice addition
> to pyton.

The resemblance isn't even skin-deep, I feel, not even when you
discount signals/slots. At least, I feel that knowing my way about
in PyQt doesn't really help me reading PyGTK (or tkInter) code.
wxPython looks more like PyQt, I think.

> There's still a huge problem with the various licences, as they don't
> really match Python's license.

Yes... We asked Troll for a free copy of Qt for Windows, in order to
produce a binary distribution of PyQt (it's an app - not every developer
needs the developers licence of Qt...), but they firmly remained
silent. And that's only the most obvious of the problems ;-(. GPL,
and even the LGLP, aren't as free as Python either.

--

Boudewijn Rempt  | http://www.valdyas.org
--

Boudewijn Rempt  | http://www.valdyas.org