can someone tell me about...

Fredrik Lundh effbot at telia.com
Tue Apr 18 17:51:00 EDT 2000

Kia Arab <karab at stsci.edu> wrote:
> variable names that start an underscore "_".
>
> Interactively, python will recognize a variable name that begins with
> one underscore (_myVar). The variable naming rules even say that is
> acceptable.
>
> However, when I try to use it in a module, it bombs.

"bombs"?

> What's the deal?

lousy subject line, no code sample, no error message,
vague description of the actual problem.

but alright, I'll guess: when you read this page:

    http://www.python.org/doc/current/ref/import.html

you missed the following sentence:

    If the list of identifiers is replaced by a star ("*"), all
    names defined in the module are bound, except those
    beginning with an underscore ("_").

</F>