Editors and books

Lee Joramo ljoramo at nickads.com
Mon Apr 17 11:55:17 EDT 2000

>Next, a question for those who've been doing this: is there a color IDE
>(just a nicer thing that IDLE) for the Mac? I've heard that Alpha (which I
>just downloaded) has a Python mode, but I can't seem to find it. Is there
>something else, either? can MPW do it? BBEdit?

You have several choices:

Alpha: I believe that two python modes have been developed independently.
Here is a link to one of them: <http://www.python.org/emacs/python-mode/>
toward the bottom of the page you should find info about an Alpha mode.
Modes are written in TCL, so you can roll your own.

BBEdit: while I find that Alpha is a very powerful, I tend to use BBEdit
for most of my Python work. BBEdit is powerful enough and has a great user
interface. In BBEdit's language preferences I have created a file extension
of .py for python and set it to use the highlighting for TCL. The resulting
color highlighting very closely matches the needs of python. Note:
BareBones is considering adding direct support for Python in the next
release of BBedit. If you use BBEdit, I suggest you contact BBEdit and add
your vote for Python.

Mac Python IDE: I believe that the next release of MacPython is scheduled
to include syntax highlighting. Maybe this summer.

Lee A. Joramo                      ljoramo at nickads.com
The Nickel Want Ads                www.nickads.com
Internet Manager                   970-242-5555