Starship update: April 18, #2

Andrew M. Kuchling akuchlin at mems-exchange.org
Tue Apr 18 19:43:47 EDT 2000

The current status of the Starship restoration effort is:

* A new disk is in the machine, and Red Hat 6.2 has been reinstalled
  from scratch.

* A temporary Web server has been put in place that explains what has
  happened.

* No e-mail server is running on the machine.

* We have found a backup of /home dating from February 1, 2000.
  tar -ztvf reported no errors on the backup file, so it's probably
  OK.  So, the worst case might now be that we've only lost
  changes since February 1.

* We haven't recreated user accounts or restored from the backup file
  yet, because we want to know the outcome of the data recovery effort
  first.  We'll decide what to do next once we know how much data can
  be recovered.

* If you were a volunteer administrator on starship, please let me
  know; I'll add you to starship-fix at egroups.com, a mailing list for
  coordinating the resuscitation process.  Also, please send me your
  SSH public key.

Many thanks to Michael McLay for getting the new disk, reinstalling
Linux, and getting the system up again.

in-any-case-the-best-christmas-present-i-got-today!-ly y'rs - tim
  -- Tim Peters, 29 Dec 91 [First occurrence of Tim Peters's long-phrase-ly
       idiom.]