The Simple Economics of Open Source

Albert Wagner alwagner at tcac.net
Sun Apr 23 13:22:52 EDT 2000

Raffael Cavallaro wrote:

> Sarcasm aside, I think you miss the point. Those artists least willing to
> share, most jealous of their "secrets" have always been those who were most
> successful. Unsucessful young artists are, by and large, quite willing to
> share ideas, working techniques, etc. It's actually the more established,
> financially succesful ones, who are not.

I think you confuse artifice and art.  Talent is not a "secret" that can
be hoarded or shared.  It is visible in the end product, yet no amount
of sharing how it was done will allow the process to be duplicated.  I
think you also are confused about what "successful" means to a talented
person.  The "commodification" (sorry, Marx) of anything and everything,
assigning it a dollar value, is at the very root of the mindset that is
destroying the world.
--
Small is Beautiful