global variables or inheritence

Thomas Rasmussen simpsons at kom.auc.dk
Wed Apr 26 16:09:22 EDT 2000

  Jeff> Sorry if I get this wrong... but I thought you'd just import
  Jeff> your other file.

  Jeff> Example:

  Jeff> # File1.py myVar = 2

  Jeff> # File2.py import File1 print File1.myVar #should print 2

Well that was also what I thought, but the following program wont
execute:
testprog1.py:
import os, sys, string, testprog2
def main():
    print 'hello'
    myvar = 2
    testprog2.second()
if __name__ == '__main__':
    main()

testprog2.py:
import os, sys, string, testprog1
def second():
    print testprog1.myvar
if __name__ == '__main__':
    print 'nope'

and then I execute python testprog1.py and get the following error:

22:03 simpsons at lada% python testprog1.py                               ~/python
hejsa
Traceback (innermost last):
  File "testprog1.py", line 7, in ?
    main()
  File "testprog1.py", line 5, in main
    testprog2.second()
  File "testprog2.py", line 3, in second
    print testprog1.myvar
AttributeError: myvar

:-(

Thomas

--
KOM Network student helper

"To alcohol! The cause of - and solution to - all of life's problems!"
-- Homer Simpson