<nifty hieroglyphics here>

Samuel A. Falvo II kc5tja at garnet.armored.net
Wed Apr 26 07:57:30 EDT 2000

In article <Pine.WNT.4.21.0004261229180.246-100000 at nt_alester>, Andy Lester
wrote:

>> The official language of usenet newsgroups is English,
>
>Oh?  And where's THAT defined?

If memory serves me correctly, I believe that it is a *recommendation* (not
necessarily a strict standard) that English be the `official' language of
Usenet newsgroups, in the RFCs.  I recall seeing a statement to the effect
of (paraphrased), "Newsgroups which are not in English should append their
two-character ISO country identifier to the newsgroup name." Thus, the
French-speaking comp.lang.python would appear as comp.lang.python.fr;
likewise, an Italian alt.rec.radio.amateur would be formed as
alt.rec.radio.amateur.it.

--
KC5TJA/6, DM13, QRP-L #1447
Samuel A. Falvo II